Four Square Writing Method - Richland Parish School Board
Four Square Writing Method developed by Judith Gould Introduction - lesson 1 When we teach math teach science give you formulas we give you a scientific method teach reading give you decoding skills
4 Square Method is a way to learn to write. (for any grade or any subject) 4 Square Method can be used for all types of writing: Narrative Descriptive Expository Persuasive We will use a Graphic Organizer (picture diagram) to plan and organize our prewriting and drafting. This method will guarantee that you can write with confidence.
4 Square - lesson 2 From reading you know about Main Ideas and details. (also used in writing) In this lesson well learn about Broad Ideas and Topics. Examples Definitions Subtopics Examples: United States Family Vehicles Delaware Florida Maine
sister aunt cousin motorcycles semis sport-utility vehicle Four Square - lesson 3 In lesson 2 we brainstormed with Topics and Subtopics. Now were going to move on to the four square format. 2. 3. Detail Detail
(2.,3.,4.) are examples, details, or definitions of (1.) subtopics 1. Topic 4. Detail 5. Sum. Sent. (5.) wrap-up sentence includes All the ideas from the 4 square in a series sentence Example: 2. 3.
Pretzels Popcorn 1. Snacks 4. Peanuts 5. Pretzels, popcorn, and peanuts are snacks. Four Square - lesson 4 Now well change from a word phrase in the center box to a complete sentence. Now boxes 2,3,and 4 will contain reasons, examples, and explanations that prove box 1 (center box) is true.
2. 3. Easy to Cook Fun to eat 1. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs. 4. Delicious 5. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy to cook, fun to eat, and delicious.
Conjunction since, because, due to good to use in summary sentences Add more details... 2. Its easy to cook 3. Its fun to eat - roll up meat - twirl on fork - throw in pot - slurp it
- pour store bought sauce - splatter the sauce 1. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs. 4. Its delicious - tomatoes - Italian spices - filling meat 5. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy to make, fun to eat, and delicious.
You try a different example... 2. __________ 3. _________ - - - - - - 1. Our school is a special place. 4.___________
- Check: 5. Our school is a special place because 1) Provable reasons (not opinions) 2) No repetition of details 3) Details are logical expansions of the reasons. 4) Wrap up sentence includes all 3 subtopics. Add transition words (connectors) and adjectives/adverbs (vivids)... Transition words help bridge the gap between ideas. They provide smooth reading when changing paragraphs. Adding vivid words helps you develop style in your writing.
You will be adding What you (the writer) see, hear, feel, smell, and taste. The emotional state of you (the writer) Formula: Four Four square + 3 + C + V Details Connectors Vivids Example: First
2. Its easy. roll up meat golf balls throw in pot huge cauldron size pour store-bought sauce Mama someone or other Third Also Its fun to eat. 3. twirl on fork looks like a twister
slurp it loud smacking noises splatter the sauce like an explosion 1. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs. 4. Its delicious. tomatoes red and tangy Italian spices zippy garlic filling meat like a hamburger So you can see
5. My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy to make, fun to eat, and delicious. Improving ( Expanding) Introduction Paragraph Introduction paragraph gives reader an overview sets the tone (what to expect) first impression (will the reader want to read on) Now we will include 1st - topic sentence My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs 2nd - wrap-up sentence Its my favorite because its easy to eat to make, fun to eat, and delicious.
3rd - personal narrative I could eat spaghetti and meatballs for dinner every night. Improving (Expanding) The Final Paragraph The last step is expanding the final paragraph final chance to bring message to reader. Summary final emphasis of main ideas Now we will include 1st - Wrap-up sentence with connecting word So you can see, my favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy to make, fun to eat, and delicious 2nd - Personal narrative sentence(s) (question or exclamation) Make it perky! I think my mom is making some tonight. Would you like to come over for dinner?
Sample Essay: My favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs. Its my favorite because its easy to make fun to eat, and delicious. I could eat spaghetti and meatballs for dinner every night. First, my favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy. You simply roll up the meat into golf ball-sized pieces, then throw them in the pot. I use a huge cauldron-sized pot. Pour on the store-bought sauce. My favorite brand is Mama someone or other. Also, my favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its fun to eat. I like to twirl it on my fork. It looks just like a twister. Its fun to slurp because it makes a loud smacking noise. I always splatter the sauce. When Im done, it looks like an explosion. Third, my favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its delicious. I like the tangy taste of red tomatoes. The Italian spices are great, especially the zippy garlic. The meat is very filling, like a hamburger. So you can see, my favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs because its easy to make, fun to eat and delicious. I think my mom is making some tonight. Would you like to come over for dinner?
The atom's mass is not uniformly distributed. Rutherford hypothesized that most of the mass and all of its positive charge are centered in a very small region called nucleus. Ultimately what we reached at… The atomic structure THE HISTORY OF...
Greece is not abundant in mineral deposits. no major rivers and a few minor rivers in Greece that flow year round and few lakes, ponds, and springs. Climate. Semi-arid, with long, hot, dry summers, and short, cool, moist winters
Objectives of this course Learn what Suprtool can do for you Learn the basic commands, variations, options, and syntax Learn advanced techniques Apply what you've just learned; get hands-on experience Basic Modules Module 1 - Introduction to Suprtool Module 2...
Is probably the best option for math and science classes, but is good for any class . Computer. Do not let yourself get distracted. Don't be online when you should be taking notes . Is a great option for English...
(Psalm 9:8 NIV). Those suffering injustice in this world can be sure that a fair judgement is coming. In that moment, the only fair and just Judge will give each person their reward or punishment. Psalm 82.
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!