mitosis = nuclear division that produces two daughter

mitosis = nuclear division that produces two daughter

mitosis = nuclear division that produces two daughter cells with thesame number and kinds of chromosomes as the parental cell (cell that divides) chromosome = condensed DNA in the form of a chromatid -in the dividing cell - chromosome duplicates and is found in the form of two sister chromatids joined by a centromere cell cycle = division of the cell, consists of interphase, mitosis and cytokinesis cytokinesis = division of the cytoplasm and organelles of a cell that has undergone mitosis into two daughter cells chromatin = interphase form of DNA, DNA helices associated with proteins = histones -each cell (except sex cells) has two complete sets of 23 chromosomes -therefore the cell is said to be diploid and n = 23 (2n = 46)

Interphase: DNA begins to condense, duplicate and form the chromosomal structure (2 chromatids + centromere) -each cell = 2n (where 2 = 23) Prophase:movement of centrioles (specialized groups of microtubules) to the opposite ends (poles) of the cell -appearance of spindle fibers between the centrioles -fragmentation of the nuclear envelope, disappearance of the nucleolus

-complete formation of the spindle = asters (short microtubules from the centrioles), poles with centrioles, and spindle fibers Metaphase: alignment of chromsomes along the spindle Anaphase: separation of sister chromatids (called daughter chromosomes) -movement of chromosomes to the opposite poles- by the spindle (lengthening and shortening of spindle fibers) Telophase: decondensing of DNA, cytokinesis by the formation of a cleavage furrow

Cytokinesis: by the formation of a cleavage furrow -furrow - slight indentation around the circumference of the cell -actin filaments then assemble to form a contractile ring which decreases in size purse string mechanism -pinches the cell in half -genetic diversity at mitosis provided by crossing over -between non-sister chromatids of 4 chromosomes (tetrad) -results in an exchange of genetic

material and diversity 4n = 8 2n = 4 -like mitosis but requires 2 nuclear divisions - cell undergoes meiosis I and II -occurs in the formation of sex cells and results in 4 daughter cells each with half the number of chromosomes as the parental cell (haploid) -ensures genetic diversity - crossing over, different combinations of chromosomes within the resulting sex cells, fertilization results in different combinations

Meiosis I: similar to mitosis EXCEPT at anaphase where duplicated chromosomes DO NOT separate -they travel to the poles as a pair of chromatids -Prophase I - duplication of chromosomes and attraction of homologous pairs of chromosomes (synapsis) forming tetrads -occurrence of crossing-over -Metaphase II - alignment -Anaphase II - separation of chromosome pairs Meiosis II: similar to mitosis -lining up of chromosomes at Metaphase II -separation of sister chromatids at Anaphase II

-cytokinesis at Telophase II -production of sperm and egg occurs through meoisis -unequal division of the primary oocyte (2n) forms the secondary oocyte and a polar body -polar body - contains chromosomes but very little cytoplasm -polar body splits during oogenesis -secondary oocyte develops into the ovum (haploid)

-fertilization unites haploid sperm with the haploid egg - produces diploid individuals -polyploidy = extra pair of chromosomes -one gamete is diploid - non-disjunction during meiosis I (homologous pairs fail to separate) or meiosis II (sister chromatids) -results in a triploid cell e.g. trisomy 21 = Downs syndrome (1/770) trisomy 13 = Pataus syndrome (1/15000) trisomy 18 = Edwards syndrome (1/4000) trisomy 22 = very rare

-aneuploidy = missing a chromosome pair -occurs in sex chromosomes more frequently -extra chromosome 21 -from birth - each individual is diploid (containing two copies of the 23 different chromosomes -chromosome charts = karyotypes (display of the 23 chromosome pairs) -pairs 1 through 22 are called autosomes = do NOT determine sex -pair 23 = sex chromosomes (X and/or Y) -diseases: Huntingtons - chromosome #4 Cystic fibrosis - chromosome #7 Sickle cell anemia - chromosome #11

Tay-Sachs disease - chromosome #15 Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - chromosome #21 -because we have two copies of each chromosome - we have two copies of each gene -multiple forms of each gene = alleles -so homologous chromosomes are the same gene for gene - BUT they can be made up of different alleles of that gene -dominant allele - uppercase letter e.g. E -recessive allele - lowercase letter e.g. e -individual with two identical alleles of one gene on each chromosome = homozygous - individual with two different alleles of one gene on each chromosome = heterozygous e.g. allele E or e

-union of sperm and egg with the same alleles = homozygous = EE or ee -union of sperm and egg with different alleles = heterozygous = Ee -genotype: genetic makeup of an individual -phenotype: physical or biochemical manifestation of the genotype -dominant trait: results from the combination of a dominant allele with another dominant allele (homozygous dominant) or with a recessive allele (heterozygous dominant) -recessive trait: results from the combination of two recessive alleles (homozygous recessive) -Punnett square: frequently used to determine the phenotype of offspring

and the odds that a genotype will occur -75% chance of a dominant trait resulting -25% chance of a recessive trait resulting -results when one allele is not completely dominant over another -results in an intermediate phenotype -can also be known as blending e.g. sickle cell anemia

-irregular RBC shape -caused by abnormal hemoglobin (less soluble) HbAHbA normal HbSHbS sickle cell HbAHbS carrier -Autosomal recessive disorders: homozygous recessive Cystic Fibrosis - 1/20 Caucasians (carrier - heterozygous), 1/2500 newborns -mutation in gene that encodes a chloride channel protein Tay-Sachs disease - Jewish descent -lack of the enzyme hexosaminidase (HexA)

Phenylketonuria - 1/5000 newborns -lack enzyme needed to process the amino acid, phenylalanine -accumulation - neurological failure, mental retardation -Autosomal dominant disorders: homozygous or heterozygous dominant Neurofibromatosis - 1/3000 people, equally represented -caf-au-lait spots on the skin, mostly mld symptoms -severe symptoms - skeletal deformaties, large head, eye and ear tumors -gene on chromosome 17, controls cell division Huntington disease - 1/20000 people -progressive degeneration of neurons -gene on chromosome 4 - no known cure

-Sex-linked disorders: contain alleles of genes also -X-linked - contributed by mother e.g. color blindness, muscular dystrophy, hemophilia -Polygenic disorders: controlled by more than one allele e.g. cleft lip, clubfoot, hypertension, diabetes -more than one allele can control normal traits e.g. skin color AABB Very dark skin AABB or AABb Dark skin AaBb, AAbb or aaBB Medium skin Aabb or aaBb Light skin

aabb Very light skin

Recently Viewed Presentations

  • Bridge Preservation at the Local Level

    Bridge Preservation at the Local Level

    The T2 Municipal Bridge Maintenace and Assessment Checklist. Based off of a multitude of different resources including DOT checklists and manuals Reviewed by numerous industry professionals including NHDOT Staff and UNH CEE Professors. 3 Major Parts. Cyclical Maintenace Schedule. Bridge...
  • Parent Guide to Using Lexile Scores Provided on the Georgia ...

    Parent Guide to Using Lexile Scores Provided on the Georgia ...

    If students are scoring in the 740- 940 Lexile band or below in the 8th grade, they will need very strategic and intensive reading instruction focusing upon the 5 pillars of reading (phonics,phonemic awareness, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency). A diagnostic reading...
  • A4 Inequalities - Pretty Math

    A4 Inequalities - Pretty Math

    ML3.PA4.1 Grade 12 Identify and use basic trig identities to find trig values Use basic trig identities to simplify and rewrite trig expressions Trigonometric identities Earlier in the course you met the following trigonometric identities: We can write these identities...
  • Scalar Operand Networks: On-Chip Interconnect for ILP in ...

    Scalar Operand Networks: On-Chip Interconnect for ILP in ...

    On-Chip Interconnect for ILP in Partitioned Architectures ... Anant Agarwal Presented By: Sarah Lynn Bird ... Arial MS Pゴシック Calibri Office Theme Scalar Operand Networks: On-Chip Interconnect for ILP in Partitioned Architectures Scalar Operand Networks Example Scalar Operand Networks ...
  • 14 장 도서관과 서지검색 시스템 - Skhu

    14 장 도서관과 서지검색 시스템 - Skhu

    All rts. reserv. 13165209 BIOSIS Number: 99165209 Population genetics of the Komodo dragon Varanus komodoensis Ciofi C; Bruford M; Swingland I R D.I.C.E., Univ. Kent, Kent, UK Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 77 (3 SUPPL, PART 2). 1996....
  • IIA Annual Meeting Webinar May 16, 2018 1330

    IIA Annual Meeting Webinar May 16, 2018 1330

    Why? Holders of DOT Special permits authorizing the Ultrasonic examination may request a modification of that SP to authorize the examination of TC cylinders. Possible option - DOT Special Permit holders to get a COE from Transport Canada and then...
  • Cybersecurity Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP trading as

    Cybersecurity Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP trading as

    FireEye has unique visibility across the attack lifecycle by utilizing adversary, machine, victim, and campaign intelligence. The FireEye security solution ensures county offices have the technology, threat intelligence, and expertise required to detect and prevent or minimize cyber incidents.
  • Title: Angels in Islam

    Title: Angels in Islam

    a. Angels are central to my faith. To believe in angels is to follow one of the six beliefs of Islam. If I did not believe in angels, I would not be a Muslim. b. The Qur'an says that angels...