Producers, Consumers, Decomposers

Producers, Consumers, Decomposers

Producers & Consumers, It all start with Plants! Prairie food web: Producers: grasses, clover & purple cone flowers. 1st level consumers ( herbivores): insects, mice, squirrels & bison 2nd or 3rd level

consumer: spiders, snakes & hawks. Decomposers: mushrooms, what else?? How do carnivores limit the number of animals below them in the food web?? Without snakes, the number of mice in the prairie ecosystem would keep increasing. In time, the mice would eat all the available food. Then the mice would starve, & so would the hawks, which eat mice. Organisms in an ecosystem depend on one another for survival. A change in the number of 1 kind of organism can affect the entire ecosystem. Pond food web:

Producers: water plants & algae. 1st level consumers ( herbivores): insects, & tadpoles. 2nd or 3rd level consumer: fish, some birds ,such as, ducks( herbivores) while others are carnivores( turtle). Decomposers: Snails, worms & protist. Energy Pyramid: Its a diagram that shows how much food energy is passed

from each level in a food chain to the next level. Energy Pyramid: Producers use about 90% of the food energy they produce for their own life processes, they store the other 10% in their roots, stems, leaves, seeds & fruits. So, not all the food energy of plants is passed on to the herbivores that eat them( only 10%).

Herbivores then use for their life processes 90% of the energy they got from the producer. They store the other 10% in their bodies. So, an energy pyramid shows that each level of a food chain passes on less food energy than the level before it. Predator Prey relationship:

Predator: is an animal that kills & eats other animals. Examples: Wolves & hawks. Prey: is an animal that is eaten by a predator . Examples: mice & rabbits. Predator Prey relationship:

Its easy to see why predators need prey. However, prey need predators, too?? Otherwise, prey populations would grow very large. Then the prey would have to compete with each other to meet their basic needs. Many would end up starving. The number of Prey &

Predators are closely related??: any change in one leads to a change in the other. Examples: 1- What happens if a preys animal food supply increase?? 2- What happens if a drought kill much of the grass & other plants in an ecosystem??

Recently Viewed Presentations

  • Presentation title - Study Abroad Office

    Presentation title - Study Abroad Office

    Site-Specific Health & Safety Info. Provide students with site-specific information about potential health and safety dangers. Petty theft (pickpocketing) versus violent theft. Local scams "No-go" areas. Going out at night. Male/Female concerns in host culture. Travel in groups/don't let anyone...
  • #alamw17  January 2017 OCLCs Work on Works Jean

    #alamw17 January 2017 OCLCs Work on Works Jean

    Extract content-oriented fields: creator, description, subject, and others. Creating WorldCat Works and Manifestations. Legacy. RDF. Convert the clusters to RDF, expressed primarily in Schema.org. Add links to WorldCat bib records that create Work/Manifestation relationships. Generate a WorldCat Work URI.
  • Presentation: Building Your SSI Prevention Bundle

    Presentation: Building Your SSI Prevention Bundle

    This slide shows data from the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative, which noticed only 80 percent of patients were receiving proper types of antibiotics. In emergency cases—where patients tend to be a high risk for complications like wound infections— only 50...
  • Human Muscle Fiber Types - weber.edu

    Human Muscle Fiber Types - weber.edu

    Times New Roman Arial Calibri WP Greek Helve WP Greek Century Pulse 1_Pulse MS Organization Chart 2.0 Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document Human Muscle Fiber Types Muscle Fiber Classification Contractile Properties Contractile Properties Contractile Properties Motor Unit Recruitment...
  • Atomic Clocks Mauricio Lopez mauricio.lopez@cenam.mx The unit of

    Atomic Clocks Mauricio Lopez [email protected] The unit of

    Relojes ópticos Sr+ 8. Ventajas y desventajas de los relojes ópticos Átomos enfriados por láser en expanción libre (e.g. Ca, Sr, H) Átomos enfriados por láser en expanción libre (e.g. Ca, Sr, H) Cociente seña/ruido alto Efecto Doppler grande Tiempos...
  • Forecasting Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's

    Forecasting Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's

    Forecasting "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Nils Bohr Objectives Give the fundamental rules of forecasting Calculate a forecast using a moving average, weighted moving average, and exponential smoothing Calculate the accuracy of a forecast What's...
  • WoK Q4 2005 Upgrades Summary - Deutsche Initiative für ...

    WoK Q4 2005 Upgrades Summary - Deutsche Initiative für ...

    brit j clin pharmaco. aliment pharm therap. eur j clin pharmacol. adv drug deliver rev. cancer chemoth pharm. clin exp pharmacol p. expert opin inv drug. eur neuropsychopharm. int clin psychopharm. gen pharmacol-vasc s. j labelled compd rad. eur j...
  • Unit: LIPIDS

    Unit: LIPIDS

    Unit: LIPIDS. Oxidation and Trans Fats. Warm-Up - Answer In your notebooks: What are the 3 classes of lipids in the body? Name 2 reasons we need fats in the body: Answers: What are the 3 classes of lipid in...